Monday, February 2, 2015

Week 3: Storybook Styles

Topic: For my project this semester, I would like to make a Storybook about the god Ganesha!  As mentioned in my feedback, we do not hear much about Ganesha until we get to the epic Mahabharata.  Also, as I mentioned in my topics post, I just find him one of the most interesting gods (mainly because he has an elephant head haha).  I would like to include the story of why he has an elephant's head foremost, then I would like to touch on some of his most known attributes such as his appetite/race with his brother, his single tusk, and why the moon changes phases.  What I would cover would depend on how many stories I am able to create before finishing the course.  

Bibliography
1. Information on Ganesh Chaturthi, a ten day festival celebrated in many Southeastern Asian countries: Source
2. Much background information on Ganesha and a layout of the many things that he is connected to and represents: Source
3. Mythological anecdotes of Ganesha: Source (I believe this will be my main source)

(Ganesha Scribing for Vyasa: Wikipedia)

Possible Styles:

Festival:  Since Ganesha is loved throughout southern Indian, I would use the introduction to tell about his background and significance (as mentioned before).  I could talk about the different times one would worship Ganesha, and in what circumstance.  There are many Hindu temples, and I could provide a walk through of some of them including pictures.  Finally there is a festival called Ganesh Chaturthi, which I could elaborate on.  It lasts ten days, and I could talk about the rituals, dates, and differences of the festivals in different countries.  

Children's Story: I read a great story between a mother and daughter when researching some of the Storybooks previously made.  I like this idea, but want to do it in such a way that I would not take away the focus away from Ganesha himself.  Since Ganesha's head is replaced when he was young, or at least speculated, I could tell the story to a young boy.  Since my audience is more directed toward a child, I could really simplify Ganesha's stories for my audience.

Journey: This reminds me of the "traveling through India" topic I was thinking about doing.  If I were to use this topic, I could be a traveler flying into India for a semester abroad.  Although I have talked about the festival aspect some, I could almost use some of those same topics, but use the perspective of a modern day college student and their experience as an american who has never been exposed to these kinds of traditions and tales before.  

Television Story:  With this topic, I could almost combine television and children's story by using a theme close to Reading Rainbow.  I got this idea when Aiden (my son) was watching Nick Jr. and they told the story of Rama, Sita, and Ravana (this was even before I knew anything about the Ramayana).  I would start each story as a different "program/episode," and tell a portion of Ganesha's story.  For my introduction, I would introduce myself and give the background on Ganesha and his significance in not just India, but in other parts of Southeast Asia as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment