Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Week 6 Reading Diary B: The Battle soon Begins

Ah, now we are once again back to the part where Rama curses the ocean, the land bridge is constructed, and we are getting ever closer to the epic battle.  I wonder if Ravana is ever sitting alone and beginning to contemplate giving Sita back to Rama for the sake of his livelihood and Lanka (haha, yeah right).  I don't remember Nala's character from Narayan's edition.  I'm pretty sure the ocean just agrees to withhold the bridge that they wish to construct.  Also, the bridge is made from many pieces of organic matter, not just rocks.  

Again, I think that Ravana should have been wiser and listened to Vibhishana, it would have saved a lot of trouble in the near future.  The part about the spies is an exciting new edition, and this may also be a great story to retell!  Now the magicians are another new part of the story that I also do not recognize.  I know that Ravana attempts to trick Sita into thinking that Rama is dead, but not before the fighting has even began.  I am glad that Sita has Trijata, and hope that nothing bad happens to Trijata in the future.  

(Hanuman and Medicine Hill) 


I cannot believe that in this version Rama and his allies are actually killed by Indrajit!  That is very interesting, and again another good plot to retell, more particularly about Medicine Hill.  There is a lot of tricks and schemes coming from both sides of the battle and most of it is coming from Indrajit.  This sounds terrible, but I am almost relieved whenever Lakshmana finally slays him and Ravan has decided to come out to battle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment