Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Week 7 Reading Diary A/B: The end of Buck's Ramayana

I didn't complete the reading diary in time even for the grace period today. I did want to complete both readings though, so I am just going to go ahead and do both in one blog post!

Part A:
To start off the reading, how many times does Ravana need to be told to let Sita go?  He simply just does not get the extent of the trouble he is getting himself into.  Like Sita had mentioned in previous readings, or in Narayan's version, it is almost as if Ravana is wanting Rama to slay him.  

In the next part, I feel sorry for those who live in Lanka since they seem to be the only one's suffering from Ravana's arrogance.  Ravana himself seems like he is just fine and dandy, when she should have taken a step back to realize that there are people out there that truly care for him deeply.  

Buck is a very talented and creative writer, and this is why his Ramayan is considerably longer than Narayan's.  Ravana's preparation for battle is more elaborate here, for instead of locking himself in his room he performs a dance ritual.  This may be an interesting take on a possible story.

Wow!  Even the final battle considerably different.  There is an actual "face off" on foot, versus in chariots that are flying around the globe.  The illusion of Indra also wasn't mentioned previously.  This is the part of the epic that I am ready to read.  Now that Ravana has passed, what will Rama do when he sees Sita, and why is she still sent to the forest when pregnant?!  We once again see Agni testifying on the behalf of Sita's innocence.  I couldn't imagine seeing all these animals, and creatures alike, traveling with the trio to attend Rama's coronation.

Part B:
Maybe it is just me, but I can say that I do not favor this ending of the Ramayana so much. With Narayan's ending, it was brief and gave the reader a sense of resolution.  Buck's version is "doing to much," in my opinion, but it does provide the reader with a different perspective on what happened with Rama and Sita.

The coronation was just as grand, if not grander, than what was previously described.  I am happy that Mnthra has come back into the story, asks forgiveness, and all seems to be going well at this point in time.  Everyone returns happy, and all is good in the kingdom of Ayodhya.


What I do not understand why the people of the kingdom are now talking about Sita's time in Lanka, have they forgotten about her sacrifice in the fire?  Hmm, maybe it's jealousy.  Also, out of all the people why does he send his dear brother Lakshmana, he must love Sita like a real sister and must have created a bond with her during their fourteen years in exile.  Although Sumitra's story provides clarification, and proves that Karma is always watching, but it does not ease my sympathy for Sita.  I think it's a little ridiculous that she must prove herself once again to her husband, then disappears into mother earth.  I am sad that Lakshmana had to also die, I wish he just sent the hermit, Durvasa, into the meeting between Rama and Time himself.  At The End, I wonder if Sita and Rama are reunited as Vinshu and Lakshmi.


No comments:

Post a Comment