Monday, March 23, 2015

Week 10 Reading Guide A: Exile and Pre-War

At this point I'm starting to see that Dhritarashtra is can be just as mischievous as his troublesome son.  When the gandharava's took Duryohana as a prisoner, the Pandavas should have made a compromise to prevent the battle that is coming in the future.  You would also think that Duryohana may be somewhat grateful to be set free, and felt some guilt about how he treated his cousins. But no, that is not how things went.  

I like the part about the voice in the lake, and how only Yuma's son was able to keep up with his questions.  Fortunately for them they are granted the boon of unreconizability for the last year they are exiled.  

(Pandava's in Exile Source: Wikipedia)

I am honestly a little surprised that Bhima was able to kill the Queen's brother without any persecution. I'll admit that I didn't know what a eunuch was, until I read the epic, and the definition surprised me.  When he decided to take this disguise I thought he was going to obtain dirt from the women's palace, but I guess it wasn't meant to go that way.  I don't like to write stories about events that pertain to rape, but I hope someone recreates this part of the epic, in their storytelling, to give Draupadi's perspective. 


I don't know how the Pandava's thought they could get away with killing a public figure, and it go unnoticed by Duryodhana.  Draupadi has five husbands, one should have been protecting her at all times.  After reading the Ramayana, it was interesting to learn about Krishna and another one of Vinshu's avatars.  It's sad that Duryodhana is only one Dhritarashtra's 100 sons, but yet he cannot be a man and stand up against him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment