Monday, March 2, 2015

Week 8: Reading Review Week

Since we've only read the two versions of the Ramayana so far, in this class, I can't really compare them to other stories.  There were many things that I liked about Buck's and Narayan's versions, then there were some things I didn't like so much. As I am taking notes for this class, I try to focus on the main themes of the particular story I am reading, then how this makes me feel.  I am always on the look out on what I can use to recreate my own tale.  I most definitely go back and review my Reading Diaries when it's time to write my storytelling posts.  I normally write about particular events, or characters, in the stories I come by in order to remember the overall "gist" when I come back.  These key concepts bring back to mind what these stories were focused on.  

My storybook project definitely is time consuming, so I try to look for one good source that provides me with a broad amount of information that I can use.  I enjoy looking for these sources, and reading through them, but once I find a good one I normally stick to it.  I love using Pinterest since it gives me the option to save all my links in one place, while keeping the source stored as well.  I love to read for pleasure, and I think this class correlates, and gives me an opportunity to read something that is interesting to me.  I really like this concept when it comes to reviewing others storybooks, since they have a source attached where I can discover more information if I want. 
 

I chose this image, because it took me completely by surprise.  This story was my most favorite to write, and some of my most creative writing!

I don't really have any suggestions for the reading material in this class, especially since we are required to buy the epics and review/compare them.  I feel as if I've learned a little about the Indian culture, and I like that very much.  Since this is a review week, maybe you could suggest an assignment comparing and contrasting the two versions of the Ramayana.  

My advice to future students:

DON'T try and summarize what you have read, especially when it close to being word-for-word.  I did this in Myth-Folk, and what I do now is read the text and take notes on some of my most favorite parts of the stories.  I really enjoy reading epics, since there are so many side tales provided for you to recreate on.  I love to use my reading diary as a basis for ideas on what I want to use in my storytelling post.  I will sometimes put a word or two of the different changes I could possibly use, so that I will remember later when the time comes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment