Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Week 8: Writing Review Week

The greatest writing that I have had success with, this semester, is my Storybook. I have found a topic that I really love, and I use my son as an inspiration in the style I chose. With my normal Storytelling posts, I have tried implementing more dialogue, and this is something I struggled with last semester. While in the writing process, I always look for a topic that really jumps out to me, then I think of the different ways I can either tell the story, or what twists I can add to the plot.
I have gathered some really good ideas when looking at other student's Storybooks, especially on how to add an extra level of suspense and emotion to the text. I enjoy getting instructor and peer feedback, since they're able to see things from a different perspective than I. After I finish writing a story, it always sounds “right” to me, no matter if I read it slow or aloud. When another person comes in, and gives me feedback, sometimes I am taken completely by surprise. I always like suggestions on how to improve the flow of the text, or if another word fits better, because it makes me feel as if I am improving my writing along with vocabulary. :) 



This image has come from my most recent Storytelling post: "The Golden Statue."  The picture displays Mother Earth bringing Sita back to her original domain.  Even though it's depicted as a sad scene, for some, I really enjoyed this event in Buck's Ramayana.  I felt that this was resolution for Sita, and she was taking her life into her own hands at this point, instead of someone like Rama or Ravana choosing her fate for her.

The biggest challenge for me, as a writer, is trying not to sound too technical in my writing. I have a hard time making my ideas flow when creating a new piece. I even had this difficulty when writing a research paper recently, though I sort of give myself the benefit of the doubt on this one (since my last paper was written over a year ago). After some reflecting, I think this has a lot to do with my job. All I do at work is type up EMRs all day, and this kind of writing that is expected of me is short and straight to the point. To fix this, I think I am going to try and improve my writing across the board, and practice this at work and not just in the classroom setting.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Liza-Ann,
    I agree that sometimes it can be difficult to make ideas flow as well. Sometimes there are ideas that I have but I’m not too sure on how to put them on paper. When I am really stumped I write all of my ideas down on a piece of paper and then it helps me collect all of my thoughts and I think that it really helps when writing papers. A lot of times its like a writing web and it is really helpful for me. Good luck with your writing the rest of this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is awesome that you used your son as inspiration for your storybook! I will have to go check it out! I also have tried using more dialogue in my stories, but this is something that I still struggle with. I also agree when I read my own story it just sounds “right” as you said, so it is nice to have other give us feedback. I think this picture that you choose is awesome! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete