Saturday, March 28, 2015

Week 11 Reading Diary A: Indian Fairy Tales Pt. 1

I really enjoyed this story and, at first, how thoughtful the Brahman is.  That is until he notes the part where he will kick his wife as soon as she does something that he does not like. When he kicks, and breaks, the pot I am a little overjoyed.  Hopefully he learns that it would do him no good if he ever acquired a wife.  

This was also an interesting tale.  I was very sad for the poor sister, and I am wondering why her sister-in-laws couldn't formally marry her off instead of killing her.  This was the first time I had heard of a Bonga, and spirits alike it, and it was very interesting to learn about.  I am left wondering what the protagonist's brothers had decided to do about their wives' deceitful acts.  


By this time I am seeing a general trend here.  There is normally one stuck in a situation (like in a cage, small pond, poverty, etc.) and some happens to cross their path. Of course the victim tries to win them over and have them set free. I would like to see here if the Brahman will set the Tiger free, and if he does will he be eaten or rewarded?  Wow!  The Jackal is such a cleaver creature in this tale, and the Brahman better have paid him some thanks and respect after saving his life.  


The picture prior to this story is what caught my eye.  I am intrigued to see what is to come out of this story.  I honestly don't know what to think of this tale.  Perhaps the gods did take pity on Harisarman, granting him with all the things that seemed coincidental... I don't know. I just hope that in the end, he did not let the prosperous living get to his head, and that he ended up causing destruction to his family.
 
Harisarman. Isn't he just creepy looking? 

No comments:

Post a Comment