Monday, January 12, 2015

Week 1: EOI Overview

Prior to this course, I have not studied Indian history nor culture.  This does not mean that I have never been interested in it.  The only exposure I've had to Indian music is when I've visited restaurants where they had music videos playing on televisions. The only epics that I've had to read in the past are Beowolf and Homer's epic poems.  Overall, I would like to take advantage of this course and learn as much as possible about the Indian culture.  Dance, food, lifestyles, religions, history, all of these topics are ones that I would like to learn about (if possible) along with the epics and stories we will read.  


Our first assigned reading, Ramayana, sounds very interesting and I am ready to begin soon.  I love mythology, so learning about the different gods and goddesses has me very excited!  The god Ganesha really has my attention, and his character is a topic that I am interested creating a storybook over.

(Source)

The image information indicates that the picture depicts "Indra and Sachi Riding Airavata."  I am guessing that Airvata is the elephant with many heads. I recently learned about Ganesha when overviewing Storybooks, but prior coming across this picture I have not heard about Airavata.  I am sure that there is a fascinating tale that reveals why he has so many heads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment