Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 2 Reading Diary B: Lover's Scorn

I am still a little angered at Kaikeyi's apathetic nature to everything that is going.  I can see that this version of the tale has left out the tree king and all of his supposed part in the finding of Rama at Chitrakuta.  I was surprised the god's interfered at the end of the argument granting Rama to stay in the forest.  At this time I wonder if no one else is seeing the significance in the exile.  

Shurpanakha is the perfect example of a woman who can be overcome with unhealthy obsession when she is in love.  If she wasn't a demon and trying to plot against Sita, when she is Rama's true wife and partner, I would almost feel sorry for her.  Lucky Rama and Sita have Lakshmana, or Sita would be out of the picture. 

 
(Life in the Forest- Shurpanakha is being attacked by Lakshmana at the bottom)


Since Ravana has not been introduced formally, or his history provided, he puts a picture of grand entrance when Sharpanakha visits him in Lanka.  Ravana's sister is so persistent about Rama, I am surprised that instead of having Ravana kill him she is still longing for him and wants him taken alive.  This is much different from Buck's story.  As much as Sharpanakha is in love with Rama, Ravana is in love with Sita.  This is a little unsettling for me, because of course I think it's terrible to meddle in someone else's affairs, but their demons and I guess this doesn't apply to them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment