Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Week 4 Reading Diary A: My First Insight to the Ramayana

This week I am doing the readings for Week 4, because I have not yet received my version of R. K. Narayan's Ramayana.  

When I took Myth-Folk last semester I noticed that the "story-within-a-story" theme was used heavily.  I can see that with how the epic begins that this theme will carry on.  As the story begins to unfold I am wondering what rumors are so terrible that Rama has exiled his beloved wife, who happens to be pregnant with his twins!  I am happy that Brahma has arranged Valmiki to help Sita, and that he is able to use Rama's sons in his plan.  I think that it is only coincidence that Rama has arranged a festival in the forest where he has sent Sita.  It makes me wonder whether he is hoping to see her and his sons, or if he has expected her to down herself such as Narada predicts if Valmiki hadn't agreed to help calm her down.  

I love how the story goes back to the very beginning with the history of Rama's father Dasharatha, Ravana, how Dasharatha came to have sons, and how Ravana used his boon from Brahma to conquer any kingdom he wished.  I feel especially bad for Indra throughout this section of the reading.  He put up the most resistance against Ravana, and suffered the most, but I am also very glad that Narayan and Brahma have found a way to help him find a way to end Ravana once an for all.  

The wedding of Rama and Sita is my favorite part of this section.  I love how Buck went into detail of how their wedding took place.  This gave me insight of their culture I was not familiar with prior to the reading.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment