Thursday, January 15, 2015

Week 2: Storybook Brainstorming

First Possible Topic: The God Ganesha
Coincidentally, I thought of this topic over the winter break.  While visiting family, we decided to do some shopping and came across a little consignment shop that sold Indian goods.  Every time I visit one of these shops, I always wonder about the references to elephants.  In particular, I was interested in figures that depicted a human body with the head of an elephant.  Since I've previously taken Myth-Folk, I knew that I was going to do another Storybook project, and decided that I would keep an open mind to learn about this character and their significance!  When the semester began, and I was instructed to review some previous storybooks, I came across a title that mentioned an elephant headed god.  I skimmed over the material and learned the god's name is Ganesha, and that is about all I know at this point!
Research:  When beginning my research, I first tried to find a site that wasn't Wikipedia.  I am not opposed to Wikipedia, I just felt that this is the first source people normally use.  This site seems to be very detailed and even breaks down the different aspects of Ganesha such as why his appearance is so, his symbolism, and his contributions to literature such as the Mahabharata that we will read in the next few weeks.  I mentioned that I tried to steer away from using Wikipedia as the main source of my project, but as I reached the end of my source that it is what they had used for information!  :)

(Ganesha)

Second Possible Topic: Traveling India
I decided that this topic sparked my interest when I cam across a cookbook/storybook combo.  I loved how the author was able to talk about important events of the culture, such as the Holi festival, and the different foods she was enjoying, all the while having some of the locals explain and tell her well known stories.  I think this is another excellent topic because it would allow me to learn not only the folklore of India, but I would able to learn other aspects of the people of the country as well.
Research: At first I had to think on how I was going to conduct research for this topic, but then I decided to simply google "traveling to India."  After going through some sites, I found Rough Guides and decided that if I were to use this topic that this site would be my go to.  There are so many features to this site, and it is simply perfect!  They provide locations and galleries that highlight excellent places to visit while there.  I love this site so much, that if I were ever to truly visit I would come back to Rough Guides in order to plan!

Third Possible Topic: The God Hanuman
As I was searching for an image to use during the course overview, I came across one of a monkey.  Later I realized he was a king, and this sparked my imagination.  I have some questions of how he came to be king and why is he in monkey form.  Was a he originally a human that was turned in a monkey then made king, or was he a monkey who was then made king, etc?
Research: For this subject I went ahead and went straight to Wikipedia, and I was surprised on how much information was available!  I was pleased to see that Hanuman was a devout follower of Rama, and that he had a significance in both the Ramayana and Mahabharata.  I am beginning to see how all of the gods, goddesses, animal kings, and other important figures of the Indian culture all somehow interconnect in one way or another.


Fourth Possible Topic: The god Ravana
I will not lie, when I first saw images for Ravana he kind of scared me.  I believe this is because of the amount of heads and arms he possesses.  When I began to read Buck's Ramayana, I was able to learn of his significance and how he rose to conquer so many kingdoms.  By picking this topic, I would be able to learn more of Ravana's history, different roles, family, and his influence on the Indian culture.
Research:  Once again I resorted to Wikipedia to do my research, although if I were to choose this topic I would also use Buck's Ramayana heavily for Ravana's history.  While reading over the page, I learned just how important the Ramayana  is to the Indian culture, and now I understand why we are required to read two different versions of it!  I was surprised to see just how it influenced things such as architecture.  This reminds me of the Ancient Egyptians and Romans/Greeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment