Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Week 4 Reading Diary B: Rama's Exile

This part of the reading reminds me of Greek and Roman mythology, where tricksters are a major player in the plot.  If Manthara was never present, and hadn't influenced Queen Kaikeyi, then Rama would have been crowned king and never exiled.  I wonder if Manthara had a hidden agenda by taking Kaikeyi into using her two promises granted by Dasharatha earlier in life.  I think Rama is about the only level headed person during this whole phenomenon.  He realizes that it is his duty to obey Kaikeyi's conditions, in order to honor his father's word, and he also realizes that fourteen years is only a fragment of time that will soon pass.  It didn't surprise me that people of the kingdom tried to follow Rama into the forest, but I am glad that he had Sumantra trick them into going back to Ayodhya.  

When Guha tells the story of when Kaikeyi asked Dasharatha to use one of his promises to teach her the language of the animals, and in the end refused, this last part confused me.  He changed his mind only when he heard some animals talk about how foolish he was acting.  What is different from this time and when she asked to exile Rama?  Could he not refuse for a second time, especially since this situation was more important?  



At the end of this section, I was surprised by the story Dasharatha tells Kauslya.  I can see why he was so upset about losing Rama now, since he believes this is all caused by his previous actions.  He is of old age, though, and I am glad that Lakshmana, Sita, and Rama now have a home and permanent place to stay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment