Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 2 Reading Diary A: Request for Rama

This version of the Ramayana is very different from Buck's, I mean just look at the shear difference in size!  I can't believe that I am going to be able to finish this book in about a week, when I've spent two week's on Buck's version, and I'm only half way finished!  As Laura had pointed out to me when I had to skip ahead to the different version, there is a lot left out in the beginning of the tale.  In my opinion, I feel that having to read ahead has kind of corrupted my view of the epic.  Haha.  I am looking for all of the background detail that I had before, but at the same time at least this version is more upfront with what the main point of the story will be (that Rama is needed to defeat Ravana).  As the story continues, I have completely given up trying to compare the two stories, and I am reading this one for what it is.


Towards the end of the reading, I finally see some similarities between the two versions of the Ramayana.  The detail in this Ramayana noticable and I enjoyed reading this version of the wedding, the difference in how Indra became the thousand eyed god, and of Rama's exile once again.  Reading the exile for the second time was different.  There was far more emotion in this time around.  I can't believe how apathetic Kaikeyi is, Manthra (Kooni in this version) is much more manipulative and her motives are clear here.  There is so much going on so far, it will be interesting picking a storytelling topic!

No comments:

Post a Comment