Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 5 Reading Diary A: Adventures in the Forest

I feel bad for Bharata, and could only imagine how he feels when he returns home and is disclosed about everything that has happened so far.  I think he is very humble, and did the right thing by going after Rama into the forest in order to clear-the-air.  Although the kingdom remains sad, and this is not what Rama would want, but everyone is assured of what is to happen.  Also, Rama and Lakshamana aren't left in the dark to whether their father had survived their leaving. 


As the Kosola's returned to Ayodhya, I was glad that the trio decided to travel throughout the country side instead of just "settling" on Chitrakuta.  They meet some interesting characters along the way, and at the end the final transition into the Dandaka forest was a good cut off point.  I enjoyed learning about Mandakarni and the five Apsarases, and think that it's interesting that no one is able to see them.  When the three are confronted by Shurpanakha, and Rama refuses her, I can only imagine what Sita is feeling at this time.  It is astonishing how easily Rama was able to defeat the large army of demons, and now I am wondering if he will just as easily defeat Ravana, or will there be difficulties. 

I am excited to finally learn of the epic battle between Rama and Ravanna, and see what Sita does while she is en captured.  The background of why Sita was exiled to the forest is still in the back of my mind, and I am wondering if the rumors of the kingdom hold any weight or if they're overexaggerated.  I am ready to see what is going to happen next! 

1 comment:

  1. Since I have commented on your intro I will comment on this. I also feel bad for Bharata! He is one of my favorite characters and I wish he was in more of the stories when we were reading. I definitely think he did the right thing in going to find Rama. The whole book would have been different if Bharata did not want Rama to take the throne. I like how he chose to take Rama’s sandals and place them on the throne. I like how you write your reading diary! I think it is very helpful to do it this way, and focus on certain scenes.

    ReplyDelete