Monday, January 12, 2015

Week 1: Storybook Favorites

The first story book that I chose was Food and Culture: An Indian Scrapbook. Indian food is definitely a favorite of mine, and this is what caught my attention to choose this storybook!  When opening the site the simplicity and the large  images of food immediately appeal to the eye.  I love the cookbook approach of this Storybook, which is sort of nontraditional, but also that the author was able to incorporate stories that correlated with the Indian culture.

The second storybook I chose to review was Hindu Goddesses. One of the reasons that persuaded me to enroll in this course was that I know so little about the Indian culture, but I am very intrigued about it.  The title was appealing, and the author's storytelling theme is easy to follow.  It seems that she has went above and beyond in how many goddesses she has chosen to cover, but she does an amazing job in introducing all of them! I like how the author tried to stay true to every aspect of her storybook, pertaining to the balance of the goddesses' story, and the interaction between mother and child.


Source: Hari Harji
(Image taken from the storybook)

Lastly, the third and final storybook I decided to review was Stories of an Elephant-headed God.  When you go into little consignment shops, you almost always see an elephant headed god, and I've always wondered what their significance was.  The title itself compelled me to check this storybook out!  I really enjoyed the look of the site, and that there is a short blurb about what the focus is even prior to the introduction. I've noticed that is is sort of a trend in the storybooks I've reviewed, and I think I may try to incorporate this in my own! The writer of this storybook is very creative and talented.  The theme is based on poetry, which is an amazing take on the writing, one that I do not be able to do myself.  Haha.   It's amazing that they were inspired by Shel Silverstein, an author, and how they were able to incorporate his work into their own creation.

(Image taken from storybook)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Liza! I enjoyed reading your post! Indian culture seems very interesting and broad in my opinion. I also always wanted to find out about the significance of elephants. I heard elephants are highly respected in Indian culture. The image of elephant God looks amazing. The hindu goddess story sounds very fascinating and the image of the hindu Goddess looks like it has a deep story to it.

    ReplyDelete