Monday, January 26, 2015

Week 3 Reading Diary A: The End is Near


I am starting to see lots of variances again within some familiar places.  When I first began reading Buck's version, I preferred and was partial to it.  Now that I have come this far in the text, I am favoring how Narayan is able to cut out some "unnecessary" points in the story, and he is effectively able to move along without leaving the reader wondering what these specific details are.  With this version I like how Ravana was unable to touch Sita against her will, I think this is much more effective than him not being able to "take her" as he pleases.  I still fell bad for Jatayu, but I am glad that he was so valiant and tried to save Sita from Ravana. 


Hanuman's significance is more elaborated, and his appropriate "obsession" with Rama is more understood, in my opinion.  I understood the dispute between Vail and Sugriva better in this version of the epic, and I am relieved that Tara didn't take her life and was able to serve as a voice of truth after the rainy season.  The sending out of the armies, setting free the nymph to heaven, and crossing paths with Jambavan comes quickly in this version, and I am very excited to come to the end of the epic and see how the battle comes about!  

No comments:

Post a Comment